Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Worries about moving to Australia?

Of course, we are not looking at this planned move with blinders on. I specifically asked Heather to think of arguments against going to Australia, and I did the same. We couldn't think of too many insurmountable issues to keep us from wanting to go there.

I guess it would be wise to avoid swimming in the ocean - you know, SHARKS! And it is recommended that you wear sunscreen regularly in the summer months. Okay, fine. These are fairly minor issues in the grand scheme of things... certainly nothing to suggest we not go to Australia.

But what if I don't get accepted into the program I will apply for? It shouldn't be a problem, but I won't know until the time comes to apply (about a year from now). Will it be difficult for me to get a job? Money will definitely be an issue that determines if we can stay there for the long term. We originally left Canada in 2000 because of money - my job didn't pay enough of it to cover all the bills. Now, we no longer have student loan payments to make, but we do have kids who will have to go to school. Being foreigners, I'd imagine we'll have to pay a lot for the privilege of sending our kids to school.

I think, though, that my plan this time will help us to deal with these issues. When Heather and I moved back to Canada in 1998, I had no plan. As a result, I did nothing for 4 months, and then I found a job through an internship program that paid peanuts. Even a second job as a teacher at Seneca College only brought in a little extra. This time, I have an advanced degree in education, and I plan to further my education in the hopes of getting a high-paying job.

One more issue is dealing with immigration. Australia gets many more applications each year than it grants, so there is no guarantee of being accepted as permanent residents when we apply. I can place my faith, however, in knowing that I will have completed a post-graduate program in Australia. This should give me an advantage.

We know that this won't be totally easy. With proper planning, however, we can make this work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home