Monday, January 30, 2006

Bill Bryson's "Sunburned Country"

Just over a week ago, I was talking via Skype with an old buddy from university (Mark). I mentioned how I was planning to move to Australia next year, at which point he told me about a book called In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson. Immediately, I downloaded the audiobook version from iTunes and spent the past week listening to Bryson's account of his treks through Australia.

It was a wonderful book, with the added bonus of listening to the author read the story in his own voice. Mr. Bryson has a distinctive style -- he's obviously funny, but he's also a master of prose, leading the listener through a study in the richness of the English language.

As I listened to Mr. Bryson talk about Australia, I paid fond attention to three parts of his story in particular. First, his visit to Sydney and environs (including the Blue Mountains) interested me greatly, as I had recently been to those places myself. Hearing names of places that I could visualize made his story more meaningful to me.

Second, his visit to the Northern Territory fascinated me because I kept imagining what my Uncle Allan must have experienced all those years (about 25) during which he lived in the outback, teaching Aboriginal children. I certainly realized that I would have to visit this part of Australia at some point, undoubtedly with Uncle Allan as a guide.

Third, as Bryson finished his book with an account of Western Australia, I was keen to hear what he had to say about Perth. He pointed out that many wealthy people live there, especially in the western suburbs. He had his only encounter with an exotic Australian creature (something similar to the platypus, but I forget the name) in King's Park in Perth. And, unsurprisingly, he praised the gorgeous weather. He then described visiting some of the interesting sights in and around Perth, and it made me feel good knowing that my family and I are planning to go there in about one year.

Even if you never plan to go to Australia, In a Sunburned Country is worth reading or listening to. I highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home