Monday, October 31, 2005

Edith Cowan University

This might be the one.

Edith Cowan University (ECU) is located in Perth, Western Australia. It is one of the most innovative universities in Australia, with many research centres and connections to industry in various fields, including education. Programs are professional and technical in nature. The university is named for Australia's first woman Member of Parliament, similar to Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario. Interestingly, ECU has an exchange program with my alma mater in Canada, the University of Guelph, which is also an innovative and research-focused university.

I see two attractive options, and frankly, I want to do both of them in time.

First, there is the Master of Professional Communications (Interactive Multimedia Technologies) program. This course is 1.5 years, and provides employment opportunities in management in interactive multimedia industries. Like the UTS program, I feel this would be an excellent compliment to the M.A. I already possess.

Second, there is the doctoral research program in the Centre of Schooling and Learning Technologies. I have already been in contact with the director of the centre, Dr. Paul Newhouse, about my interests in the field, and he has responded favorably to my study inquiries. Dr. Newhouse happens to be doing research into the use of portable computing devices in schools, which is very similar to my interest in mobile e-learning solutions.

And don't forget the added bonus of free schooling for my kids while I'm studying (if I go there).

In writing this post, I just get the feeling that ECU could be the exact opportunity that I've been looking for in my desire to move to Australia. Excellent programs, beautiful city, great climate, healthy lifestyle, all in an English-speaking country.

:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home