Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Gaining a further education on Oz

While I wait for the time to come when we finally go to Australia, I continue to educate myself with video and book resources. A few weeks ago, I received my Amazon package of all things Aussie, and I've been engrossing myself in the information provided. Here is a little review of the items studied.

The first was the IMAX movie Australia: Land Beyond Time. It is a beautifully filmed depiction of the Australian landscape and wildlife. Australia, not surprisingly, makes for wonderful panoramic shots. I was transported to deserts, great salt lakes, mountains, gorges, giant rocks, and other rugged landscapes. Deadly animals such as snakes and crocodiles mix with other familiar creatures from down under such as kangaroos and koalas. You definitely get the feeling that Australia could actually be a transplanted continent from an alien planet.

The next video I watched was Alone Across Australia. This one-person documentary showed a man making the perilous trek across the country from south to north. In many ways, this video did more than the IMAX film to convey the starkness of the outback, not to mention the danger inherent in trying to walk across its unforgiving terrain. The man, Jon Muir, left much of himself in the outback during his walk. But he was able to live off what the land provided, proving that even a desert supports life. I would never attempt to do what he did (nor would most others, frankly). Inasmuch, one can see how humbling the Australian outback can be.

There's more. I also watched the four-part travel guide Globe Trekker. I enjoyed all four episodes, but if there is any complaint it is simply that I didn't get to see more of Perth (which I was hoping for). Nevertheless, these shows were good at showing much of the wildlife that calls Australia home. Culture is played up a plenty, as well. Importantly, these shows talk about the Aboriginal people and their plight in the land they've called home for 60 000 years. It reminds you that not all things about Australia are peachy.

I also have been flipping through the book I received. Living and Working in Australia is said to be an essential guide for anyone considering moving to Australia (that would be us). I did find it helpful, but I expect it will be more meaningful to me as we draw closer to the time we actually go down there.

So, that's what I've been doing of late to prepare for moving down under. Soon, I hope to receive a reply to an email I sent to my uncle. He used to live in the outback, and he has plenty of experiences that I wish to learn about once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home